The Center for Independent Living, Inc. first opened an office in the heart of Fruitvale in the early 2000s. Our mission in Fruitvale is to increase access to disability resources and reduce stigma around disability in the Latinx community. CIL’s Fruitvale office provides services in Spanish to Oakland residents.
The services include but are not limited to:
- Explaining housing options
- applying for affordable housing
- translating disability paperwork
- translating phone calls
- developing an independent living plan with goals
- providing information about disability-related issues and community resources.
The CIL office also provides assistance with connecting with other CIL services that are primarily in English. With these services, CIL aims to maintain the consumer’s voice at the center, provide encouragement, and appropriate accommodations.
CIL’s Fruitvale office is located inside the Spanish Speaking Citizens’ Foundation which uniquely services the Latinx / Hispanic community in Oakland with various resources. The Spanish Speaking Citizens’ Foundation is a community hub for resources regarding disability, immigration, youth services, English classes, health resources, and much more! We look forward to providing services and please call to make an appointment.
We offer services virtually and by appointment only in person at the Fruitvale office. For in person appointments, we require people to wear masks at all times in our offices. Our capacity is capped at one staff and up to 1 person at a time in our office space. We can accommodate you if you have a companion. Appointments are on a first-come, first-served basis.
Oakland, CA. 94601
9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday-Friday
- Click here for driving directions to our Fruitvale office.
- There is only street parking.
- Once you have arrived, CIL’s office is inside of the Spanish Speaking Citizens Foundation.
BAY AREA RAPID TRANSIT (BART)
- Take the Fremont train and get off at Fruitvale Station.
- Head northwest towards Avenida de la Fuente.
- Turn right on Avenida de la Fuente.
- Turn left onto E 14th St./International Blvd.
- Turn right onto Fruitvale Ave.
- CIL’s office is inside of the Spanish Speaking Citizens Foundation, which is on the right at 1470 Fruitvale Ave.
- 1: International: Fruitvale Ave.
- 19: Downtown Oakland to Fruitvale BART
- 20: Fruitvale Ave. and International Blvd.
- 21: Fruitvale Ave. and International Blvd.
- 39: Fruitvale Ave. International Blvd.
- 62: E 12th St. and Fruitvale Ave.
- 14, 20, 21, 39, 47, 51A, 54, 62: Fruitvale BART Station
For more AC Transit information, click HERE.
Please Keep in mind
If you have any questions, would like to schedule an appointment, or talk with one of us, please contact us at (510) 841-4776 or firstname.lastname@example.org.